The La Salle Varsity Soccer Team’s season can be described as a season of highs and lows. With a young team, growing pains were to be expected. The 20-member team included seven sophomores and seven freshmen.
In the beginning of the season we experienced a number of tough losses that seemed like they could have gone either way. As the season progressed and they became more accustomed to one another, the boys really came together and started improving their game.
The highlight of our season was a stretch in the latter half of the year when we won three out of four games, including a 1-0 defeat at always-tough Kennedy Catholic and an 8-0 defeat against St. Edmund’s.
We went into the playoffs feeling very good about ourselves coming off of these victories. But we were ultimately eliminated after a hard fought game against St. Raymond’s, losing 2-1 in double overtime.
The boys were dejected but it should in no way take away from the growth and development that we saw on the field this season. Our young players gained extremely valuable knowledge and playing time that will be vital in the coming years.
Paulo De Souza, senior goalkeeper, was outstanding all year long and has earned himself All-League and potentially All-City honors. Sophomore Jason Criollo, a forward, earned himself All-League honors as well while leading the team with 7 goals on the season. Ultimately, the season did not end the way we wanted it to but the future is extremely bright for the soccer team here at La Salle Academy.—Brian Pally.
· Senior goalkeeper and captain Paulo De Souza
· Senior defenseman Julio Castillo
· Junior forward Damiano Nicolosi
· Junior defenseman and captain Daniel Gallegos
· Junior defenseman Brandon Molina
· Junior midfielder Cristian Perez
· Sophomore defenseman Michael Garces
· Sophomore midfielder Derek Criollo
· Sophomore forward Jason Criollo
· Sophomore goalkeeper Ricardo Deoleo
· Sophomore midfielder Jayden Lucas
· Sophomore defenseman Wilson Alexei
· Sophomore midfielder Jimmy Berrezveta
· Freshman midfielder Timothy Leong
· Freshman midfielder Anthony Urena
· Freshman midfielder Jose Mosso
· Freshman forward Bryan Otavolo
· Freshman midfielder Leonardo Velez
· Freshman forward Vince Arias
· Freshman defenseman Jean Heras